Updated: Jul 24, 2022
With more than 300 days of sunshine annually in Austin, why not move your yoga practice outdoors? Local yogis and visitors can find plenty of options to enjoy a flow in the sunshine. Here are some of the best places to find outdoor (and often free) yoga during the spring, summer and fall in Austin, Texas.
1. Rough Hollow Pavilion, Rough Hollow community in Lakeway, Texas
From Vinyasa to Restorative Yoga, the Rough Hollow Community Yoga program has it all. Including the most beautiful outdoor yoga studio in all of Austin. Located on beautiful Lake Travis, yogis get to practice rain or shine in the majestic outdoor pavilion. If you would like take a class you might be out of luck as you can only attend if you are a resident of the Rough Hollow Community. There is one class open to Austinites on Monday nights. Contact Laura Sander email@example.com for more info.
2. Wanderlust Yoga The free Rise + Yoga Series is held on the Great Lawn in the Domain every Saturday morning through the end of summer. Enjoy live music by local artists and start your weekend off with wellness! Wanderlust also co-hosts the Summer Sunset Series at Republic Square. Join Outdoor Voices and friends during a free vinyasa session at sunset. Check their calendar to find out what other events are happening each week!
3. Sanctuary Yoga Take your yoga into nature! Sanctuary Yoga is a non-profit yoga center that supports the Amala Foundation. They offer a 90-minute hike through the Greenbelt, featuring stops with standing postures, stretches and meditation. The backdrop of the trails and creekbed is the perfect place to unwind and refocus. Greenbelt Yoga is offered every Saturday at 10 a.m.
4. Wild Heart Yoga This cozy studio in southwest Austin features a stunning, tree-lined yoga deck and regular outdoor classes (weather permitting). If you're looking for a more natural way to sweat it out under the Texas sun, this is it!
5. Black Swan Yoga Since 2013, Yoga on the Plaza has been an Austin-favorite. Black Swan Yoga hosts the event on the Whole Foods roof each spring and fall. The events are free, just show up with your mat and a positive attitude. The classes are for all levels and often include music and refreshments. Keep an eye on their events calendar for 2019 dates.
6. SUP Dog Feeling adventurous? Ditch your mat for a stand up paddleboard (SUP)! Floating yoga classes are available during the spring and summer (weather permitting) on Lady Bird Lake. Check out their full moon yoga classes for a memorable experience with friends!
7. Wimberley Valley Winery Venture out to Wimberley, in the Texas Hill Country, for the free Summer series: Yoga in the Park. Enjoy a class under the oak trees at Wimberley Valley Winery. When class is finished, you can explore the vineyards and stay for a glass of wine!
8. AdZENtures Yoga Take in a view of downtown from the rooftop of the One America Building at 600 Congress Avenue. With classes offered five days a week, AdZENtures Yoga is accessible to everyone. Register for weekend classes to take part in the Austin-favorite: Yoga & Mimosas. Check out other unique classes and events on their webpage.
Whether you’re a yoga fanatic or just looking for a way to soak up sunshine, there are plenty of options! Be on the lookout for local yoga studios hosting pop-up events around the city this summer.